Eight people were brought to the Suðurnes Hospital and Health Center this morning, believed to be suffering from smoke inhalation, after a fire erupted in an apartment building in Reykjanesbær, Southwest Iceland.
The fire was reported at about 3 am, RÚV reports. It erupted in a washer on the top floor of a three-story building and in a pile of clothing. There are stores on the ground floor, but 12 apartments on the other two floors, housing 30 people.
Ármann Árnason, officer at the Suðurnes Fire Department, reported that the fire was not substantial, but the hallway, through which the residents had to go to escape, was filled with smoke.
The eight residents were transported by ambulance. Then the Red Cross transported the rest of the residents to its facility in the area. They won’t be able to return to their homes until later today.